Saturday, May 06, 2006

FIRST FIRING!!

I got to work early this morning and finished up the block work around the oven. I now have three major task be completed: finish up the chimney to the top of the flue; insulate the firebox and pour a concrete cap on the top; and finally - stucco the outside, except for the brick section.
This evening I light a fire and then decided to make this the first firing. So I piled in the wood and watched as it burned from front to back. About halfway through the burn I could see the carbon buring off the firebrick. That means the surface temperature of the birck is over 600 degrees F. And the most important fact - NO CRACKS!! I did make the concrete cladding a bit thicker than called for and I added quite a bit of rebar and 6" X 6" mesh. Anyway, most people that have a cracked oven say that it happened in the first firing. It really doesn't hurt the usefulness of the oven, but its still nice to know that its all in one piece.
I got some complaints that my entire life is spent building the oven. And it wasn't just from Genny - GRIN. So to balance this posting off and to prevent the loss of readership - I am including a photo of the garden that I worked in all afternoon. Got the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant more lettuce planted. We're eating heads of lettuce already!

No comments: