Monday, April 03, 2006

The rain was pouring and so was I.

I got outside at 7 AM this morning and started pouring the hearth. There was a passing thunderstorm that started at 5 AM and the weatherman was calling for more heavey rain over the morning. First was 1 1/2 inches of Vermiculite and Portland Cement as a thermal barrier.

Placed a rebar framework the I made up on Saturday and began pouring the 4 inches of 5,000 psi concrete to give the hearth some thermal mass and support the actual oven. It started to rain just as I was finsihing up. Hopefully I'll be able to take off the tarp later and do the final finsihing without the rain. After returning from the canoe trip, the next step will be to place a layer of firebrick on the new hearth. That will be the actual cooking and fire surface.

Next post on the weekend after the Okefenokee Swamp Canoe Trip of 2006!

No comments: